Vegan Double Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 89 grams flax eggs see below
- 64 grams Double Dutch Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 110 grams sunflower seed butter almond butter or cashew butter
- 6 tablespoons + ½ cup water
- 3 scoops Pure Monkfruit or 240 grams sugar
- 106 grams of all-purpose white flour
- 250 grams best grade chocolate chips 200 for inside the dough and 50 grams on top
- Blueberries and raspberries as desired for decorations.
- ½ cup of Crème de Cassis for pouring on the serving plates
Preheat oven 350F. Lightly oil an 8x8 inch pan or use a non-stick pan with no oil.
Add the cocoa powder to a bowl and hand whisk it to get most of the lumps out. Add the flax eggs, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and 2 to 6 tablespoons water. Mix with a hand mixer or stir by hand until the mixture is thoroughly mixed. The batter at this point should be thick but somewhat glossy.
In a medium microwave proof bowl, take the sunflower seed butter and microwave for 60-90 seconds. Mix Monkfruit (or sugar) into the hot melted sunflower seed butter. Mix until shiny.
Add the hot sunflower seed mixture to the cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
Add the flour, water and 200 grams of chips and stir until completely incorporated. The chips will not melt.
Put the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle 50 grams of chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out smooth or a few crumbs clinging to it. They should be set on the edges but moist in the middle (not unbaked).
Remove from oven and use dull knife edge to spread the melted chocolate chips on top to give it a glossy finish. Let cool completely. Cut and serve.
3 tablespoons ground flax seed (18 grams) I prefer “Bobs Red Mill Golden Flax Seeds” as they setup faster
3/8 cup water (71 grams)
Stir and let set up for 10-15 minutes until it has more of the consistency of raw egg whites
Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 9 brownies