Dad and Stella's Cornbread with a Surprise
With the challenges of feeding a large family during the depression, these recipes harken back and pay tribute to those times with some updates and added flavours that were the family’s favourites, for example cornbread and peaches. Why not marry these together? Since I love France, we must add some aged French Blue Cheese. Now we have it all, salty, sweet and divine cornbread.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal organic (143 grams)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour 30 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt pinch
- ¼ teaspoon organic baking soda 2 grams
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- ¼ peach cut into thin slices but not separated
- 1 cup full fat plain yoghurt 250 grams
- ½ cup full fat milk 118 grams
- ¼ cup Canola or Avocado oil 50 grams
- 1 Tablespoon honey 18 grams
- Spray oil
Preheat oven to 400F (204C). Liberally spray oil into the skillet and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and whisk together well.
In a second bowl, combine and stir the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
Stir in the dry ingredients and mix just until well moistened. Do not over mix as this will cause the cornbread to break and have odd peaks.
Pour into the batter into the oiled skillet. It should level itself out without help.
Place the peach cut fan style into the middle of the pan. Do not press down. It will drop a little anyway.
Bake for 20-23 minutes. Check at 20 minutes. A wood skewer should come out clean when inserted into the middle near the peach. It should be nice and brown and the edges should be brown.
Serve with more peaches and French Blue Cheese immediately.
Yield: 1 loaf, 8 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Equipment: Mixing bowls, sharp knife, Black Iron Skillet 9-10”